Tuesday, November 3, 2009

November 3, 1779



After all of the festivities for the Queen's birthday yesterday I have been most fatigued all day, on top of it all I think I may be coming down with a cold. It is just as well, for I have no engagements for the next few nights and can rest at home. I have been very productive last few days, having been to the bookseller to better stock my library here in town, as well as seeing my Marchande des Modes. I did a rather silly thing and bought a muff and hat without having anything to wear them with, so now I needs must have at least one new outfit made to match. Of course my marchande is only to happy to oblige me with that dilemma.

I wrote to Christine and told her I was to visit our old school, St. Cyr, but I have not yet set a date on which to do so. The visit to the bookseller did furnish me with enough educational volumes to make a sizeable donation, so I think I am bereft of excuses and must now make the visit itself. It will at least silence Maman who has been encouraging me to do so, in her usual and unrelenting way.

The more I think on it the more I am convinced that I do not want to give up the Hotel de Sully, or failing that should at least keep some residence in Paris. Even more so I realize that such a decision remains mine to make, and the money to do so mine to spend, only because I remain independent of a husband. No, as I wrote before, I never sought the Duchy now dangled before me and even if it means the loss of the reacquisition I did come here to pursue, I can ensure a future for myself that is within my control by marrying Thierry as planned. My only fear is that in refusing so apparently generous an offer I will incur the displeasure of those who may take the little I have. A quiet wedding in Auvergne, and some time to let society accustom itself to Thierry and I, and I do believe that everything will be well. I pray that it will be.

Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...