Monday, February 1, 2010

February 1, 1780


Such a week as we have had! I am recovering from a terrible head cold that came upon me on Wednesday last, but I was not the only one to stay in my home as Paris has seen snow such as it has not had for many years. One wonders if the Almanacs predicted such a heavy fall.

On Friday we received a note from Msr. Poisson that a clerk position with the Ferme Generale was available, and so Thierry went to see them. He began work with them Monday and finds it very dreary, but it is work and he has hope that it may lead to something better. This, of course, means that we will not be leaving Paris after all. I admit that I am both relieved, and also saddened not to be seeing my dear Auvergne, but with all of the snow the roads would be impassable as it is.

This afternoon Comtesse de Rochechouart came to visit, and she said that she will be at home on Thursday and that I should come by then to take my puppy home. I ferverently wish that she were at home tomorrow so that I could go all the sooner, but she will be out. I am delighted at the idea that soon my Reinette (for so I have decided to call her), will be home.
Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...