Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 17, 1780

Many letters have come to me in Riom recently; idle gossip from Thierry that he may say as little as possible, apparently the Duchess de Polignac is delivered of another son. One wonders when the queen will be delivered of even one. It only serves to remind me of my own barren state.

A letter from Christine urges me to consider returning to Paris, but it is so hot in the summer and I know I will have to return there sooner than I would wish to announce my marital arrangements with the Marquis de Franconville-aux-Bois. F- has been very dear and little has changed, but the Comte de Rodez is in a very sad state and has been keeping company at one of the local inns, returning only very late at night, or not at all. I fear for he and T-, for in their different ways they both suffer by my decision.

Maman is greatly delighted to think that I shall soon be married, but I think she remains blind to the true nature of things. It is a trial to keep her from announcing matters to the whole town, if not the province. Mattieu is likewise excited, but Andre has not responded as of yet. F- and I are unwilling at the moment to discuss what the terms of our marriage will be, but we cannot wait much longer if we are to reach an understanding.

Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...