Saturday, July 3, 2010

Re-enactment Frustrations

I am intensely jealous of those of you who live out west where there are costume societies and costumed picnics to attend, and even more so of those of you who live abroad in places like Sweden and England (where, as my fiance says, "The history comes from), because you can play out your reenactor lives in actual period buildings.

I live on the east coast of the U.S.A., near to Washington, DC, and there are a plethora of reenactment societies here; Civil War, Revolutionary War, etc, but I have yet to find a single 18th century non-American society. I don't really want to be a colonist; I mean, isn't part of the fun of a persona the ability to be someone that you're not? To take on, if only for a few hours, the mindset of someone that you'd rather have been?

I was in the Society for Creative Anachronism for many years, and is in fact how I met my fiance, but it's the 18th century that I love much more than the Middle Ages or the Renaissance, and frankly the politics of the oganization really bothered me. There was talk last year about starting a similar group for 18th century reenactors whether European or American, but it fizzled out very quickly.

So I suppose I'm just posting this to rant and with the fervent wish that someone out there in my area might feel the same way.

*Photo courtesy of duran textiles

7 comments:

  1. It didn't totally fizzled out comtesse. We are doing something locally here but we are a little too far.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's "here" for you? I'm glad someone is getting to play with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so true! I wished I'd live in an area with 18th century reenactment groups, but they are far away in west-germany... *sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing stuff there in sweden... browsed their whole dresses archive and there might be some pics from them pop up on my blog as well in the future. thanx a lot olympe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duran has the most beautiful pictures, don't they? Always happy to introduce new items of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it doesn't exist, start it! Because trust me, there was NOTHING going on in NZ when I first got here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I happily would, but at the moment I don't know anybody in the area (we just moved), so I'm still trying to find people here who share my interests. I'm going to keep trying though.

    ReplyDelete

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...