Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December 6th, 1780

As I sit at home with a most aggravating head cold the only matter I have to recount is the news of Empress Maria Theresa's death. If tiding of this have not reached Christine in Sweden already then my letter, which I was in the midst of when the news came to me, will tell her so. Christine will be saddened for she has always admired the Empress greatly. I sometimes wish that I were as clever and independent of spirit as she, but we must not expect to share in all of those talents which make our friends of such interest to ourselves. One could be too self-sufficient.

An unexpected letter from Andre in Ferney informs me that he wishes to marry Miss Delacor and will ask for her hand imminently, and that he relies upon me to temper Maman's displeasure. I have already returned an answer of congratulations and agreed, but in my heart I am also against the match. Still, he has been living with her for over a year and so to not marry her would be a stain upon both of their characters. I am resigned to having her for a sister-in-law, but I doubt we shall ever be close and cordial. If he fears Maman's reaction he should perhaps be concerned for that of his father even more so, but that is not within my realm of interest.

I feel a little that my own wedding plans will be a little overshadowed by this favorite son, but then I cannot begrudge him his happiness.
Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...