Wednesday, October 12, 2011

October 12th, 1780

Msr. Poisson has been earning his due allowance. This morning he came to my Lever very early to inform me that I have an interview with Msr. Lenoir, head of the police in Paris and receiver of all of the slanderous gossip there is to be had. I doubt that I shall be able to convince him of Thierry's innocence, but I will be able to find out what sort of man he is and what may move him to action on Thierry's behalf.

Msr. Poisson also suggested that I find a way to meet with Msr. Lavoisier, the scientist, because he is a leading member of the Ferme, and has a great many contacts amongst those who have the running of things. Surely he will be sympathetic to one of the Ferme's dedicated employees. I have not yet come up with a plan for how to effect this, but I suspect the way may be through his wife.

Whispers have reached me that Mlle de Rodez is in town with her mother, and also that she is very beautiful and very strictly guarded from the public. She sounds like someone who could use a friend. I am due to meet with the mother very soon, but I wonder if a note could not be gotten to the young woman in advance so that I might meet her when I am there.

First, however, there is dinner with my cousin Godefroy this evening. I hope very much that I can persuade him to introduce Mlle de Rodez to court, because many of my plans hinge on this. Now I must see to dinner preparations.

Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...