Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 28th, 1782

It is late, but I must pause a moment to record the events of the last few days. As promised, I was introduced to LaFayette at Elizabeth's party, and I told him that as a fellow Auvergnat he must allow me to host a dinner in his honor now that he was returned. He told me to name the date, so in my joy I recklessly asked if he was engaged for the evening of the 28th. Why I left myself so little time I cannot help but wonder!

Tonight he came and there was fine food, wine, cards, dancing, and he regaled us with stories of his adventures in America. The guestlist was quite full as nobody wanted to miss an opportunity to meet with him; but though it was a wonderful evening this is not even the best news. Close to the end of the evening LaFayette mentioned that he had heard I was selling one of my estates in Auvergne. When I confirmed that this was true he said he might be interested, as he was hoping to acquire more property there himself. I felt compelled to inform him that Lespinasse Castle was in some disrepair and that Opme currently has tenants, but he said that he would likely wish to make many rennovations in any case so that if it had but a sound roof over it, the castle might do very well.

Tomorrow I send a note to my estate agent to ensure that Lespinasse's roof is indeed sound. Finally, fortune smiles on me!

Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...